Daily 5 Study Guide (new edition) developed by Joanne Devine
Chapter 1: THEN AND NOW
1. What are some of the major differences in the old vs the new editions of the Daily 5? (p. 2-3)
2. What motivated the 2 Sisters to develop Daily 5 and what is its purpose? ( p.7)
3. In figure 1.2 ( p.11) where have you been and where are you now on the “learning line?” Self reflect and look forward.
4. Discuss the process of initially launching the Daily 5 in the first 8-12 weeks of school. (p. 13-17). Share your own experiences.
5. The CAFÉ menu provides the “focus lessons” for Daily 5. Are you using CAFÉ or other resources for your focus lessons?
Chapter 2: Core Beliefs, the Foundation of the Daily 5 (D5)
1. Why are trust and respect important and how do they effect the classroom community? (p. 22-25)
2. Why is choice an essential core belief? (p.. 25-27)
3. How are students held accountable in Daily 5? (p. 27-28).
4. Referring to Wesson’s “rule of thumb,” Medina’s “brain rules,” and Routman’s 20/80 concept, what have we learned.
5. Figure 2.2 explains how many words children encounter when reading a specific amount of minutes. How will you use this chart to make a difference in your classroom?